Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Downton Abbey Season 3 Opener

 I was pleasantly surprised to learn that PBS' Masterpiece Theater's Downton Abbey was to begin again this past Sunday.  It's hard to believe it's been almost a year since the end of season two.  I get distracted with football season and had stayed away from PBS as of late because of what seems like monthly pledge drives.
Just a few observations I'd like to share:the entire two hour episode seemed rushed, "the" wedding was over and done with the first hour--this romantic wanted more, too many story lines, tiring of the Mr. Bates saga, lucky Mathew with yet another inheritance?--seems strange but I have a cousin that has had three such windfalls in the last decade, Shirley McClain's character did not ring true, the one oven/stove issue.
 I was pleased with the addition of O'Brien nephew Albert as a footman.
 I suppose all Americans are crude clowns to the British.
But! I screwed up big time when I read a spoiler on line which has somewhat ruined the season for me.  Out of that though, I learned a new butler is on the way, actor Ed Speleers plays Jimmy Kent.  I bet Thomas is going to love him.  Or at least try to. I would.

2 comments:

Howard in CT said...

I read that same spoiler. About Matthew, right? I don't know how I can enjoy the rest of the season now. bummer.
Couldn't believe how they rushed the wedding. They could've spent the whole show on it.
I thought Shirley M was a hoot. She doesn't take any crap from Grandmama dowager. And she saved the day when the dinner party was almost ruined.

behrmark said...

I'm commenting without reading your post because *gasp* I did not watch the season opener. I've been ill and thought it best to not stay up until 11pm watching the (assumed glorious) two hour episode. And this brings me to my complaint: why does PBS air the good stuff so late??